Richard D. Braatz (from MIT)Adjunct Professor
Tel : +1-617-253-3112
Fax : +1-617-258-0546
E-mail : email@example.com
Homepage : http://web.mit.edu/braatzgroup
- Ph.D., California Institute of Technology, 1993
- M.S., California Institute of Technology, 1991
- B.S., Oregon State University, 1988
Employment and Professional Experience
- Edwin R. Gilliland Professor of Chemical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2010-date
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, UIUC, 2010-date
- Visiting Scholar, School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Harvard University, 2009-2010
- Affiliate Faculty, Institute for Advanced Computing Applications and Technologies (IACAT), UIUC, 2008-date
- Lead, Research Project on Multiscale Simulation in Science and Engineering, IACAT, UIUC, 2008-date
- Affiliate Faculty, Institute for Genomic Biology, Regenerative Biology and Tissue Engineering Theme, UIUC, 2006-date
- Millennium Chair of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, UIUC, 2006-2010
- Affiliate Faculty, Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering, UIUC, 2006-2010
- Affiliate Faculty, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, UIUC, 2005-2010
- Affiliate Faculty, Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, UIUC, 2005-2006
- Affiliate Faculty, Department of Bioengineering, UIUC, 2004-date
- Affiliate Faculty, Beckman Institute, Molecular and Electronic Nanostructures Area, UIUC, 2004-date
- Applied Mathematics Faculty, UIUC, 2003-2010
- Research Faculty, Center for Nanoscale Science and Technology, UIUC, 2003-date
- Visiting Professor of Chemical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2002-2003
- Professor of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, UIUC, 2002-2010
- Beckman Associate, Center for Advanced Study, UIUC, 2001-2002
- Affiliate Faculty, Bioengineering Program, UIUC, 2000-2004
- Associate Professor of Chemical Engineering, UIUC, 2000-2002
- Affiliate Faculty, Biotechnology Center, UIUC, 2000-2010
- Senior Research Scientist, National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA), UIUC, 1997-2002
- Local Anchor, Chemical Engineering Applications Team, NCSA, UIUC, 1997-2000
- Computational Science and Engineering Faculty, UIUC, 1995-date
- Assistant Professor of Chemical Engineering, UIUC, 1994-2000
Awards and Honors
- IEEE Control Systems Society Transition to Practice Award, 2011
- Collaboration Success Award, The Council for Chemical Research, 2009
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science, 2008
- Journal of Process Control Prize Paper Award (for theory/ methodology), 2008
- Journal of Process Control Prize Paper Award (for a survey), 2008
- Fellow, International Federation of Automatic Control, 2008
- Fellow, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, 2007
- AIChE Excellence in Process Development Research Award, 2006
- Antonio Ruberti Young Researcher Prize, 2005
- IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology Outstanding Paper Award, 2005
- CAST Outstanding Young Researcher Award, American Institute of Chemical Engineers, 2005
- Curtis W. McGraw Research Award, Engineering Research Council, 2004
- CAST Directors' Award, American Institute of Chemical Engineers, 2003
- Ernest W. Thiele Lectureship, University of Notre Dame, 2001
- Donald P. Eckman Award, American Automatic Control Council, 2000
1. Z. W. Ulissi, J. Zhang, A. A. Boghossian, N. F. Reuel, S. F. E. Shimizu, R. D. Braatz, and M. S. Strano, "Applicability of birth-death Markov modeling for single molecule counting using single-walled carbon nanotube fluorescent sensor arrays," J. Phys. Chem. Lett., 2, 1690-1694 (2011).
2. W. Y. Woo, R. B. H. Tan, and R. D. Braatz, "Precise tailoring of the crystal size distribution by controlled growth and continuous seeding from impinging jet crystallizers," CrystEngComm, 13, 2006-2014 (2011).
3. K. Chen, N. Nair, M. S. Strano, and R. D. Braatz, "Identification for chirality- dependent adsorption kinetics in single-walled carbon nanotube reaction networks," J. of Computational & Theoretical Nanoscience, 7, 2581-2585 (2010).
4. M. Kishida and R. D. Braatz, "Worst-case analysis of distributed parameter systems with application to the 2D reaction-diffusion equation," Optimal Control Applications & Methods, 31, 433-449 (2010).
5. J. C. Pirkle, Jr. and R. D. Braatz, "A thin-shell two-phase microstructural model for blown film extrusion," J. of Rheology, 54, 471-505 (2010).
6. L. M. Goh, K. J. Chen, V. Bhamidi, G. He, N. C. S. Kee, P. J. A. Kenis, C. F. Zukoski, and R. D. Braatz, “A stochastic model for nucleation kinetics determination in droplet-based microfluidic systems,” Crystal Growth & Design, 10, 2515-2521 (2010).
7. K. Chen, R. Vaidyanathan, E. G. Seebauer and R. D. Braatz, "General expression for effective diffusivity of foreign atoms migrating via a fast intermediate," J. Appl. Phys., 107, 026101 (2010).
8. T. Jin, Y. Ito, X. Luan, S. Dangaria, C. Walker, M. Allen, A. Kulkarni, C. Gibson, R. Braatz, X. Liao, and T. Diekwisch, "Elongated polyproline motifs facilitate enamel evolution through matrix subunit compaction," PLoS Biology, 7, e1000262 (2009).
9. N. C. S. Kee, R. B. H. Tan, and R. D. Braatz, "Selective crystallization of the metastable alpha-form of L-glutamic acid using concentration feedback control," Crystal Growth & Design, 9, 3044-3051 (2009).
10. X. Y. Woo, R. B. H. Tan, and R. D. Braatz, "Modeling and computational fluid dynamics-population balance equation-micromixing simulation of impinging jet crystallizers," Crystal Growth & Design, 9, 156-164 (2009).
11. Z. Zheng, R. Stephens, R. D. Braatz, R. C. Alkire, and L. R. Petzold, "A hybrid multiscale kinetic Monte Carlo method for simulation of copper electrodeposition," J. Comput. Phys., 227, 5184-5199 (2008).
12. C. T. M. Kwok, K. Dev, E. G. Seebauer, and R. D. Braatz, "Maximum a posteriori estimation of activation energies that control silicon self-diffusion," Automatica, 44, 2241-2247 (2008).
13. N. Nair, W. -J. Kim, R. D. Braatz and M. S. Strano, "Dynamics of surfactant-suspended single-walled carbon nanotubes in a centrifugal field," Langmuir, 24, 1790-1795 (2008).
14. J. G. VanAntwerp, A. P. Featherstone, B. A. Ogunnaike, and R. D. Braatz, "Cross-directional control of sheet and film processes," Automatica, 43, 191-211 (2007).
15. E. G. Seebauer, K. Dev, M. Y. L. Jung, R. Vaidyanathan, C. T. M. Kwok, J. W. Ager, E. E. Haller, and R. D. Braatz, "Control of defect concentrations within a semiconductor through adsorption," Physical Review Letters, 97, 055503 (2006).
systems and control theory, materials and pharmaceuticals manufacturing, systems nanotechnology, applied mathematics