1998. 03 ~ 2002. 02 B. S. Department of Chemistry, KAIST
2002. 03 ~ 2004. 02 M.S. Department of Chemistry, KAIST
(Advisor: Ryong Ryoo)
2004. 03 ~ 2007. 02 Ph. D. Department of Chemistry, KAIST
(Advisor: Ryong Ryoo)
Employment and Professional Career
2007. 03 ~ 2009. 03 Postdoc. Department of Chemistry, KAIST
2009. 04 ~ 2010.10 Postdoc. Department of Chemical Engineering,
2010.12 ~ 2015.02 Assistant Prof. Dept. of Chemical & Biomolecular Eng., KAIST
2015.03 ~ present Associate Prof. Dept. of Chemical & Biomolecular Eng., KAIST
2004 ‘Creative Research Award’ from KAIST
(Top research award for MS)
2007 ‘Best Thesis Award’ from KAIST
(Top research award for Ph.D)
2011 ‘Top young Scientists’ from Ministry of Education and Science Technology
2013 ‘Best Research Award of Year’ from Korean Environmental Industry and Technology Institute
2014 ‘Distinguished Lectureship’ award from Chemical Society of Japan
2016 ‘Best research Award of Year’ in climate change response, from Ministry of Science, ICT, and Future Planning
The main research activities are the design and the application of functional porous materials, which include both organic and inorganic matters such as polymer, carbon, silica, zeolite, metal, metal oxide and their composites. Special attention has been paid for the design of advanced catalytic and adsorption materials that can have great impact on the industrial catalysis and separation processes. Special attention has been paid for the rational design of materials in a molecular level by using cutting-edge material chemistry in order to better understand the catalysis/adsorption phenomena and/or to significantly improve the functions of materials in target applications.
- W. Choi, K. Min, C. Kim, Y. S. Ko, J. W. Jeon, H. Seo, Y.-K. Park, M. Choi* “Epoxide-Functionalization of Polyethyleneimine for Synthesis of Stable Carbon Dioxide Adsorbent in Temperature Swing Adsorption”, Nature Communications, 7, 12640 (2016)
- K. Lee, M. Choi* “Hierarchically micro-/mesoporous Pt/KL for alkane aromatization: Synergistic combination of high catalytic activity and suppressed hydrogenolysis”, J. Catal., 340, 66-75 (2016).
- J. Im, M. Choi* “Physicochemical Stabilization of Pt against Sintering for a Dehydrogenation Catalyst with High Activity, Selectivity, and Durability”, ACS Catal., 6, 2819 (2016) (selected as an ACS Editor’s Choice).
- C. Kim, H. S. Cho, S. Chang, S. J. Cho*, M. Choi* “Ethylenediamine‐grafted Y Zeolite: a Highly Regenerable Carbon Dioxide Adsorbent via Temperature Swing Adsorption without Urea Formation”, Energy Environ. Sci., 9, 1803-1811 (2016).
- C. H. Choi, M. Kim, H. C. Kwon, S. J. Cho, S. Yun, H. Kim, K. J. Mayrhofer, H. Kim*, M. Choi* “Tuning selectivity of electrochemical reactions by atomically dispersed platinum catalyst”, Nature Communications, 7, 10922 (2016).
- S. Yun, S. Lee, S. Yook, H. A. Patel, C. T. Yavuz, M. Choi* “Cross-Linked “Poisonous” Polymer: Thermochemically Stable Catalyst Support for Tuning Chemoselectivity”, ACS Catal., 6, 2435 (2016).
- S. Lee, K. Lee, J. Im, H. Kim, M. Choi* “Revisiting hydrogen spillover in Pt/LTA: Effects of physical diluents having different acid site distributions”, J. Catal., 325, 26 (2015).
- M. Y. Kim, K. Lee, M. Choi*, “Cooperative effects of secondary mesoporosity and acid site location in Pt/SAPO-11 on n-dodecane hydroisomerization Selectivity”, J. Catal, 319, 232 (2014).
- J. Im, H. Shin, H. Jang, H. Kim, M. Choi*, “Maximizing the catalytic functions of hydrogen spillover with Platinum-encapsulated aluminosilicates having controlled nanostructures”, Nature Communications, 5, 3370 (2014).
- K. Kim, R. Ryoo, H.-D. Jang, M. Choi*, “Spatial Distribution, Strength, and Dealumination Behavior of Acid Sites in Nanocrystalline MFI zeolites and Their Catalytic Consequences”, J. Catal., 288, 115-123 (2012).
- M. Choi, Z. Wu, E. Iglesia*, “Mercaptosilane-Assisted Synthesis of Metal Clusters within Zeolites and Catalytic Consequences of Encapsulation”, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 132, 9129 (2010).
- M. Choi, K. Na, J. Kim, Y. Sakamoto, O. Terasaki and R. Ryoo*, “Stable single-unit-cell nanosheets of zeolite MFI as active and long-lived catalysts”, Nature 461, 246 (2009).
- M. Choi, D.-H. Lee, K. Na, B.-W. Yu, and R. Ryoo*, “High Catalytic Activity of Palladium(II)-Exchanged Mesoporous Sodalite and NaA Zeolite for Bulky Aryl Coupling Reactions: Reusability under Aerobic Conditions”, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 48, 3673 (2009).
- M. Choi, H. S. Cho, R. Srivastava, C. Venkatesan, D. -H. Choi and R. Ryoo*, " Amphiphilic Organosilane-Directed Synthesis of Crystalline Zeolite with Tunable Mesoporosity", Nature Mater. 5, 718 (2006)
- M. Choi, F. Kleitz, D. Liu, H. Y. Lee, W.-S. Ahn and R. Ryoo* , "Controlled Polymerization in Mesoporous Silica toward the Design of Organic-Inorganic Composite Nanoporous Materials", J. Am. Chem. Soc. 127, 1924 (2005).
- M. Choi and R. Ryoo*, "Ordered Nanoporous Polymer-Carbon Composites", Nature Mater. 2, 473 (2003).